Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sound verses silence


One of the terrific lessons I've learned from my friend, Virginia, is to slow down!  Putting it in musical terms, I'm trying to be more adagio  (A tempo having slow movement; restful at ease.) and less allegro (A direction to play lively and fast.) I like this from Eric Starr as he talks about the use of rest notes in music: 
As a composer, you'll want to think about “sound versus silence.” Finding just the right balance is essential. In the end, this means knowing how to use rests effectively. There is nothing worse than music that sounds “busy” or “cluttered.” If you try to create dense music, it will probably sound chaotic and muddy. Instead, strive to craft natural, flowing music using the fewest notes.
Throw the word "life" in that paragraph everywhere that you see the word "music" and read it again. The question is how are we composing our lives? Are we "using rest effectively" or are we "chaotic and muddy"? 
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” ~Matthew 11:23-30

No comments:

Post a Comment