Monday, October 22, 2012

My Inheritance

This morning in church, our scripture passage was Psalm 47:

Clap your hands, all you nations;
    shout to God with cries of joy.
For the Lord Most High is awesome,
    the great King over all the earth.
He subdued nations under us,
    peoples under our feet.
He chose our inheritance for us,
    the pride of Jacob, whom he loved.
God has ascended amid shouts of joy,
    the Lord amid the sounding of trumpets.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;
    sing praises to our King, sing praises.
For God is the King of all the earth;
    sing to him a psalm of praise.
God reigns over the nations;
    God is seated on his holy throne.
The nobles of the nations assemble
    as the people of the God of Abraham,
for the kings of the earth belong to God;
    he is greatly exalted.


While our guest speaker made a number of great points, the thing that jumped out to me was his question, "Are you happy with the inheritance that God has chosen for you?" I have to say that being able to say a loud "yes!" to that question was an amazing thing for me.

I've spent a lot of my life wandering aimlessly, trying to figure out where I belonged in this world. It took a long time for me to reach the point where I could look at my life and say, "Wow. THIS is what God created me for... it's how He designed me and how He wants to use the experiences I've had in life."

Looking back on my life, I have discovered one important flaw in my wanderings... I was looking for where I belonged in this world; the fact is, I don't belong here. My home is in heaven, therefore, I am never going to find the answer to that question. The better question is this: "Father, while I'm here on earth, what is my assignment? How can I best serve You and honor your name?" While I am certain that there are many more answers to that question that I haven't yet discovered, I am thankful for a Heavenly Father who has chosen a good inheritance for me. He gives the greatest gifts and I'm blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment