Thursday, January 15, 2015

Unrushed and Refreshed

"I'm a task girl. I like accomplishing things. I like the thrill of moving forward, creating momentum, and getting stuff done... But the more I choose to pause and talk and really connect, the more I discover the thrill in the sacred spaces of relationships. Leaving room in my life for the unrushed yes strengthens the fabric of my relationships so they can better withstand the wear and tear of everyday life."  [Lysa TerKeurst - The Best Yes]
I've been reading and re-reading the chapters of Lysa's book over the past several months. I keep needing to hear what she's saying because I relate so well. The above quote is from a chapter I've just read for the first time and will likely revisit many times before it really sinks in... "The Thrill of the Unrushed Yes." This chapter states well the blessings I've recently discovered because of the generous gifts of friends. 

By the time December 2014 rolled around I was exhausted from all the tasks and 'getting stuff done'. December didn't show any signs of slowing. In the midst of all I had to do to finish out the year, I was also in the process of preparing for my "Jubilee Year Journey of a Lifetime", a trip to Egypt to spend a week with my dear friends The Skaggs. This extravagant, unexpected gift was looming on the horizon and, while I was excited for the adventure that lay ahead, I was also overwhelmed with all I felt needed to be done before I left. 

It's not in my nature to allow people to help me. Not a habit I'm proud of, just a fact. So it was difficult and amazing all at the same time when family and friends began pouring out their love to me: taking care of final details to be sure the inn would be ready for guests scheduled to arrive 3 days prior to my return, stepping in to serve as innkeepers during those 3 days, and insisting that I get away and forget about my work for a while. How was I to know that this was just the beginning of the blessed gift of rest, restoration and relationship that My Heavenly Father wanted to speak into my life? 

On January 3rd, my amazing brother and sister-in-law drove me to Chicago where I boarded a plane headed for Amman, Jordan and then on to Cairo, Egypt. I walked through the terminal gate peacefully confident in those who would take care of all my responsibilities while I was gone. 

The week ahead was full of lots of wonderful adventures as we visited pyramids, museums, cathedrals, mosques and the citadel. I promise I'll tell you more about these adventures in a future blog, but today I want to focus on the most precious gifts: time and relationship. 

While I tend to be a fairly social person, I actually spend a great deal of time alone. Being part of a family for 8 days was blessing upon blessing for my soul. Here are a few of my favorite moments;

  • Conversation with Jen about life and faith while curled up in blankets and sipping cups of tea or coffee. The mornings were cool and crisp and the conversation was warm and encouraging. 
  • A tour of the neighborhood where Byron grew up. His heart for this place is evident as he shares of past experiences, present life and hope for the future. Byron loves his Egypt and I am thankful that he shared that love as we moved around the city throughout the week. 
  • Family time each evening, laughing at Parks and Rec and noshing on popcorn or pizza (and, of course, a few raw veggies for good measure.) ...Oh, and I finally saw The LEGO Movie"... "Our mouths were filled with laughter,  our tongues with songs of joy." (Psalm 126:2)
  • Hanging out with Aubri in my room on Saturday night: naming the snowman puppet "Handy" and flipping coins to determine which would be shared with Samuel... and laughing... a lot. (see above)
  • Chatting with Jonathan during his lunch break from school. Talking about his future plans as he looks towards life beyond High School.... and his recognition that the next time I visit (yes, I do hope to go again)... the next time, it is entirely possible Jonathan will be returning home, too, as a college student home for break. 
These things are the ordinary things of life, day to day activities where life really happens. Don't get me wrong, it was strangely wonderful to be a tourist with no responsibilities. Still, all those sites would have meant nothing if not for the amazing family with whom I shared them. Their friendship and love is what has made this an experience to be cherished. 
"Connecting with those we love is like soul food.... Relationships nourish us in ways nothing else can. It's the relationships that help unrush us." [Lysa TerKeurst]
Thanks, Skaggs Family, for helping to "unrush" me. You're the best! Can't wait to see you this summer.  

1 comment: