Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What's in a name?

When I was 30 years old, I changed my name. I've always been "Julie Marie"... I just haven't always been a "Jobryce". In fact, I made that name up. I'm the only one; I'm uniquely me. :)

People often ask me why I changed my name and I have a number of reasons that I won't go into here. Let's suffice it to say that I've always believed that your name said a lot about who you are... in more ways than one it is your identity. My last name, Jobryce, is reflective of my family - two brothers: Joe & Bruce. That's one of the many ways we are identified: family.

Today I was reminded of this again and the thought that came to mind is this: My identity is found in Christ alone. God says in Isaiah 43:1, "I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine."

Revelation 2:17 tells of a day in heaven when we will be given a "white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it." I've always imagined that God has a special name for each of us... In my mind it's a bit like Pa calling Laura "Half Pint" in Little House on the Prairie. There are a lot of people named "Julie" in the world... but I have another name that is mine alone and only my Heavenly Father knows it. How exciting it will be to know that name... It is carved on a white stone just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment