Saturday, January 28, 2012

$1.34 worth of anger, so not worth the cost...

A few days ago, I went to Goodwill to pick up a few things. After making my selections, I headed up to the check out. There were 4 people in front of me and one person was working. The cashier paged the manager and asked for help, but was told that they were "in a meeting." Um, OK. Perhaps it's the retail manager in me talking (and I do realize this is Goodwill, not Target) but, in my opinion, someone should have come to help. By this time there were now 4 more people behind me, so this one cashier was trying to assist 9 people with no one else on the floor to do anything to assist her.

After finishing with the first person, the cashier runs into a problem with the second. She calls again for help. By now I am getting angry... not at the cashier but at the lack of concern that the management seems to have for either customer or employee. (They had not even looked out to see what the circumstance might be in regards to business in the store.) As she calls for help, I say "If they don't come now to help, I'll get on there and talk to them." (meaning the pager system.) When the manager replies back with "what do you need" I yell in a loud voice, "She needs you to get up here and help her!"

The manager strolls to the front to begin to help. Apparently the customer didn't have enough money on the card she used and needed to pay another way. They would need to reverse the entire transaction and start over. Really? At this point I threw my items in an empty basket sitting nearby, said, "I don't need any of this that bad!" and walked out.

The very next day, I read this in my Bible:
"Take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man’s anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you" ~ James 1:19-21
"anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." Wow. Talk about a well deserved slap in the face! There was absolutely NOTHING accomplished through my anger. It didn't help the cashier to get the help she deserved. It didn't treat the other customers with any respect. It didn't honor God in any way whatsoever.

To top it all off: The James Bible Study I am participating in had this challenge for the week: Find an opportunity to be a blessing to someone else... As I reflected back on this event, I was made aware of what I didn't listen to (be quick to listen) when the problem arose at Goodwill... the customer was short $1.34! How easy it would have been for me to pay the difference for her and let her go on her way. Instead, I let me anger get the best of me...

I'd like to say this was the first time I'd walked out of a situation in anger, but unfortunately, it is not. I'm confessing today that I have an anger issue... and I have a problem with "walking out" when I should stay and be part of the solution. It is my prayer that with God's help, I will develop a life of humility and overcome the anger that holds me captive. The fact is, walking away has cost me a lot and I no longer want to pay.

"But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does." ~James 1:25

2 comments:

  1. You are brave, honest, and transparent, my friend, and I appreciate all three. (Oh, and you are also not alone in your imperfections. We'll move forward together!) God bless ya, traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Follow up: Yesterday, I still had this event heavy on my heart. I knew I needed to do more than "be sorry" ... I needed to show I was sorry.

    I stopped and picked up a small pot of tulips and a greeting card. After writing a note of apology, noting that I did not behave as if I love Jesus, I drove to the Goodwill Store, praying that the cashier would be there and thinking about what I would do if she wasn't.

    God answered my prayer when she was the very first person I saw when I walked in the door! (Wow. Just the confirmation that I needed to know it was the right thing to do.) I gave her the flowers and offered my sincere apology, which she graciously accepted by giving my a big hug. She remembered the incident and we spoke briefly about it.

    Before I left, I received another hug from her and from her friend who was visiting with her! It seems that in the end, I received quite a blessing. God is so good!

    ReplyDelete