Saturday, January 21, 2012

A sure foundation

"There comes a time to drive a stake in the ground and lay claim to one life, one focused goal, and one God." ~ Beth Moore in James, Mercy Triumphs

Those who know me, know that I'm a wanderer... I don't often stay put for very long and have moved numerous times in the last 30 years. In fact, it got to where my nomadic tendencies became ingrained into my very being. It was a point of identity for me.

Today, I'm reading and reflecting on these words from James:
"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously and without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks he should not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." ~James 1:5-8
While there are many things I have taken from this study today, there is one point that I feel I need to focus on and be thankful to the Lord for helping me to deal with in my own life. Over the past three or four years, I believe God has been dealing with my nomadic tendencies and helping me to better see how my constant moves have not only been unhealthy for me, but have also been evidence of my lack of faith in Him to meet my needs. I have wandered from one place to another and one opportunity to another, constantly hoping to find the "next best thing" for my life. In doing so I have removed any stability that I may have hoped to have in my life.

In all my wanderings I never stopped long enough to genuinely ask: "Julie, what are you looking for? What is is that you think you need?" and I certainly didn't intentionally ask God to provide wisdom for the decisions I was making. Isaiah 33:6 says, "He [God] will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is the key to His treasures."

Oh, how I need a sure foundation! I look back and see how weary my wavering has made me... and then I stop and thank God for the stability that He is bringing to my life. Certainly, it is still a work in process because I am not always a good student for the lessons He is teaching me. And yet, I find JOY in seeing how He is taking all the ways that He has created me and is molding them into a life that I truly love and that allows me to be of service to Him.

Looking back at James' words, there is one phrase that really speaks to my heart: "without finding fault." I hope that speaks to you, too. Just think, when we have been floundering about, trying to make decisions on our own and moving willy-nilly through life... and when we finally get around to asking God for wisdom... He doesn't throw our past failures in our face. Instead He generously gives us the wisdom we desire. Praise God for His loving kindness that meets our every need!

No comments:

Post a Comment