Wednesday, February 1, 2012

"Inconvenient" sacrifice

This morning I did some work for the church I attend. It's something I volunteered for a number of months ago and have been doing, typically once a month, ever since.

Now when I signed up for this work, I actually thought I was signing up for something else altogether. Has that ever happened to you? From the very first time that I did the work until today, I have had a complaining spirit! It's not the the work is too hard, but more that it feels inconvenient to me. Always I can think of 100 other things I'd rather be doing.

Here's a little of what my internal conversation looked like this morning.
 "I wish I'd known what I was signing up for, I never would have done so. It takes forever [not usually more than two hours] and I always [once a month] have to do it by myself." 
 "You're right, Julie, but volunteering is good for you. It is a way to give back to the church and it fits you schedule."
"I know, but it's so inconvenient! I wish I could find an easier way to 'sacrifice' for the church."
"Oh, yes. Perhaps something less demanding... like say,... dying on the cross for the sins of all people across eternity."
Ouch. Ok, I deserved that. Guess my 'sacrifice' isn't so inconvenient after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment