Monday, September 10, 2012

The Journey from Restless to Rested (Ps 107:4-9)

"Some wandered in desert wastelands finding no way to a city where they could settle" v4
To say I've moved a lot would be an understatement. At one time I could say "in 27 years I've moved 27 times." I wandered from place to place, town to town, state to state. I changed jobs, schools and, even friends, like I was changing my clothes. And like my clothes, I could never find the right fit. It didn't fit my personality, my preference, my style... When something didn't suit me, I tossed it aside, donated it to goodwill, and moved on... "Surely the next shop will have something more to my liking," I thought.
"They were hungry and thirsty and their lives ebbed away" v5

Oh, yes. I was hungry and thirsty... but not for physical food. Certainly I've had more than my share of that. My hunger went deeper than any physical nourishment. I needed something else. Still I fed my hunger with that which cannot satisfy. I drank stagnant water from a rusty cup and pretended that it quenched my thirst.

In the midst of all this, I somehow knew that "the Lord, He is good and His love endures forever." (Ps 107:1)
"Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble and He delivered them from their distress." v6
I hit a lot of walls as I journeyed through the maze of my life. At every turn, my Heavenly Father was waiting for me to ask for His help. Each time I asked, He answered. The key became this: Keep on asking!
"He led them by a straightway to a city where they could settle." v7

When I finally reached the point of surrender, I listened to the guiding voice of my Savior and He led me to a place I can now call home. I'm always mindful of the fact that this is not my home [ah, someday - heaven!] but for now, I am in a place that is as much like home as it can be.
"Let them give thanks to the Lord for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds for men, for He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things." v8-9
Although it has taken me a long time to surrender to the Father's love, I'm so blessed to have done so. Nothing can satisfy me like Jesus! He is daily pouring out His unfailing love upon me. He has satisfied my thirst with Springs of Living Water and filled my hungry heart with blessing upon blessing. Praise His name!

Life is far from perfect, but it sure is a lot closer when I "give thanks to the Lord, for He is good and His love endures for ever." 

No comments:

Post a Comment