Monday, February 18, 2013

Lent - Fashion statement or undergarment?


I am currently participating in a Bible Study on Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. Today's lesson covered fasting and, given that we are currently in the season of Lent, my mind quickly went to recent conversations about fasting during the Lenten Season.

“When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you" (Matthew 6:16-18).
Jesus gives emphasis to making fasting a private matter. One's decision to fast is something that is between the individual and God. When we make our "sacrifice" a public matter, we are told that we receive our reward from others, rather than the reward that God gives.  I wonder what heavenly reward we sacrifice for the sake of sympathy or praise from man?

The question is: what is the purpose for fasting? This time of year, I think it is tempting to fast because "everybody is doing it." You might say it's fashionable.

Angela Thomas (Living Your Life as a Beautiful Offering) discussed four purposes for fasting. Having looked over her thoughts, I made up this acronyusing the word FAST 
Focus - I spend more time focusing on God, learning to hear His voice.
Awareness - I recognize things that control me or consume time better dedicated to Him.
Sustenance - I remember that God supplies all my needs.
Tranquility - I find a healthy spiritual balance as I maintain discipline in my life.

This lesson has been helpful to me as I consider fasting for Lent and beyond. It has moved me to reconsider the why and when. Fasting is more than a fashion style that I wear for a season. It is my own private discipline -- undergarments, if you will. The thing about undergarments is that they aren't for the public to see; however, choosing the right undergarments can certainly make any outfit look and fit better!

No comments:

Post a Comment