Saturday, September 11, 2010

Fruit of my lips...

"From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things, as surely as the work of his hands rewards him.... A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult... Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." ~ Proverbs 12: 14, 16, 18


Recently I lost a "friend" on facebook. I had posted a comment that expressed frustration over some difficulty I'd been having with a relationship. My friend assumed that I was talking about him; he "de-friended" me. (This "de-friending" concept is interesting to ponder, but I'll save it for another time. :)


I'm big on communication and have to admit that I was disappointed that my friend made an assumption, rather than just asking me about the comment. However, I also had to recognize that, while I wasn't taking about my friend, he did have a valid point about my post. The fact is that things we say on Facebook or other social networking sites are seen by any number of people. So, I ask myself, "Do I have a responsibility in what I choose to post? Am I responsible for how the words I express are interpreted by others?"
 
When we feel attacked, we often want to respond with words that defend our position on a specific issue or circumstance. However, I hope to learn from the example of Christ. "Jesus made no reply, not even to a single charge." ~Matthew 27:14... Is it not better to keep silent, than to say something that can cause harm, even unintentionally?

I want my words to be words of encouragement and praise. "Through Jesus let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that confess His Name. And do not forget to do good and share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." ~Hebrews 13:15-16 ...If my words cannot do these two things: 1) Offer a sacrifice of praise and 2) do and share good with others, then it would be better if I remained silent.

Peace of Christ to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment