Monday, September 6, 2010

Forgetting what lies behind...

"Forgetting what lies behind and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal to which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." ~Philippians 3:13b-14

I've read this passage many times and, like most people, I've assumed that the past we are to forget is all the negative, unpleasant or sinful things of our past. However, during a recent conversation with fellow Christians, I realized that in the context of Paul's writing, his statement actually follows a laundry list of all the achievements and accolades that can be attributed to him. So, the past he forgets includes all these things, too. I cannot move forward with Christ if I am overly focused on past successes, or overly consumed by past failures. None of these things matter; it is obtaining the things that Jesus has planned for my future that are most important to my journey.

Today, on this leg of my journey, I have the assignment of learning what it means to live a life of humility. I have been accused of enjoying the limelight a little too much and in many ways I think that's true. Being recognized has played a large role in my self-esteem. I love the laugh, the pat on the back, the golden star. But those things are all about me and I don't want that to be true of me. I long to leave behind my past habit of seeking to be seen and desire to live a life of humility... being humble and meek in the ways that Christ my Savior is humble and meek.

I hope that this blog will be an avenue to journal the journey. As I begin it today, I don't know when I'll actually post it for my friends to follow. I guess for now, it will be to whomever the Lords reveals it... I wonder if making it known to many would be humble, or "limelight seeking"... Guess I'll find out in time.

This blog is also a part of my accountability to be in the Word on a daily basis. If I am to become all the God has planned for me to be, I have to communicate with Him through study and prayer. If you are a praying person, please pray for me to be diligent in studying His Word. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment