Monday, January 6, 2014

Reflective verses for 2014



I've not been writing lately and decided that the beginning of a new year was a good time to dive back in... Thought I'd start by sharing some Bible verses that I plan to reflect on in the year ahead and to allow them to serve as a jump off point for discovering more meaningful ways to serve Christ in 2014. 

I decided to take the challenge of choosing a few specific verses for reflection after a friend posted a facebook status asking what verses various people were choosing as a focus for 2014. I hadn’t thought about it much, but her question compelled me to do so -- here’s what I’ve been lead to: 

“Arise, shine, for your light has come,
    and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.
 See, darkness covers the earth

    and thick darkness is over the peoples,
but the Lord rises upon you
    and his glory appears over you.
Nations will come to your light,
    and kings to the brightness of your dawn.”
Isaiah 60:1-6
”When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” – Matthew 5:14-16 

 I’ll be using these verses as a beginning place to consider these things:
  1. What does it mean for Jesus to be “the light of the world”?
  2. If Jesus is the light of the world, how is it that I, too, am the light of the world?
  3. What role can I play in bringing the light of Jesus to a dark world? 
 I hope to write about my experience, so maybe you'll see more here soon.

Blessed 2014 to you!
  1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment