Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Critical of my brothers and sisters

Hmmm.... seems like today is another day that my blog will be a confession. I'm reflecting on yet another stumbling block in my walk with Christ and I'm seeking to move beyond another bad habit. The fact is, I have an overly critical heart when it comes to my brothers and sisters in Christ. Let me give you a few examples so you'll see what I mean:

Example 1: There is a woman I know who always seems to rub me the wrong way. Anytime someone has a problem to tackle she is always quick to quote a scripture or have a "pat answer". In my own spirit I feel her words are harsh and critical nearly saying "if you were just perfect in your faith like me, you would know that [this Bible truth, that resource] is the answer to all your problems." Now I know the Lord has used her to reach many people and impact their lives. She has a heart for the lost and loves them deeply. Plain and simple the problem is that she doesn't do things the way I would do them. [insert tongue in cheek here] She is bold and crisp with her approach; I tend to be slow and test the waters. I often challenge myself to ask why I allow her style to annoy me. Perhaps, if I'm honest, it's partly because she has a boldness that I don't have. There are ways I wish I were more like her... and ways I'm glad I'm not. The fact is that both of us are uniquely designed by God to serve His good purpose to glorify His name and bring others into His kingdom. There are people that she can reach that I never will... and vice versa.

Example 2: I have friends who I love dearly and who sometimes frustrate me to no end! They love the Lord and teach their children to walk in His ways. They have family members who do not walk with God and who live lifestyles which my friends do not approve. They are openly critical of their family members, sometimes showing great disgust for their lives. Deep under their disgust are genuine hearts for their loved ones; they want them to know Jesus and to walk in His ways, choosing right for themselves and their children. I wonder if their critical hearts have become more visible than their loving, compassionate hearts? Would they reach their family better by another way? Again, I realize that their way is not my way, but that doesn't make it wrong. I think I'm too quick to "excuse" the bad behavior of those who "know no better". I don't speak up; I don't make people aware of their sin for fear of offending them.

The bottom line for me is this: I need to stop focusing on how my brothers and sisters in Christ are "doing it wrong" and start focusing on how I can be obedient to what God is asking of me; I need to keep my eyes on Jesus and the path He is leading me down, instead of being critical of others. Certainly, if I see a brother or sister who I genuinely believe is in error, I should confront them privately [as opposed to harboring negative feelings in my heart]. Good dialog among believers can heal a multitude of hurts and alleviate a lot of misunderstandings.

More and more each day I find myself wanting to be more like Jesus. This means I must rid myself of the things that hinder my walk with Him. If it doesn't not honor God and edify His Children [my brothers and sisters] I need to purge it from my mind.

I am praying that God will "fill you [and me] with the knowledge of His will... so that we may live lives worthy of the Lord and please Him in every way." Read Colossians 1:9-14 A great prayer!

No comments:

Post a Comment